We take your privacy extremely seriously. This policy describes what, why and how we collect and use your personal information, how we protect it and how you can contact us.
Sony Depthsensing Solutions SA/MV (“Sony Depthsensing“, “we” or “us”) is the Sony group company responsible for data processing in connection with our products, services and websites in Europe. We are registered in the Belgium.
Please note that other companies in the Sony group are responsible for data processing controlled outside of Europe, such as Sony Corporation in Japan, or in connection with other Sony products and services, such as Sony Computer Entertainment or Sony Europe B.V.
Information that we collect
We may collect information about you in several different ways, for example: when you complete text fields or upload documents.
Information that you provide to us
- You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site (“our site”) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, search for a product or service, enter a survey, submit an application and/or when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and/or phone number. When you participate in one of our prize draws or competitions, we may collect your name, address, age or artistic input
- When you visit us at a public event, such as trade show or exhibition or participate in one of our surveys, we may ask for information, such as your business card, name, contact details, interests and preferences
Information we may collect from other sources
We may also collect information from publicly available sources and third parties, including:
- When you seek to make a purchase from us, we may carry out credit and financial checks to ensure payment is not made fraudulently and that you have a suitable credit rating
- When carrying out business to business transactions , we may use business contact details that are publicly available
Information we may collect in relation to social networks
If you use any of our social network applications, pages or plugins or you use one of our products or services that allow interaction with social networks, we may receive information relating to your social network accounts.
- If you log-in to one of our websites or services using your social network account, we may receive basic details from your social network profile. The basic details we receive may depend on your social network account privacy settings, however, they might include your social network ID, name, profile picture, gender and locale. We may also receive additional information from your profile if you give us permission to access it
- If you click on a ‘like’, ‘+1’ or ‘tweet’ or similar button in one of our websites or services, we may record the fact that you have done so. In addition, the content that you are viewing may be posted to your social network profile or feed. We may receive information about further interactions with this posted content (for example, if your contacts click on a link in the posted content), which we may associate with the details that we store about you
- If you ‘like’, ‘+1’ or similar one of our pages on a social network site, we may receive information about your social network profile, depending on your social network account privacy settings
Information we may collect when you use websites, products and services from Sony
Some of our websites, and online services provide us with information about your use of them, including:
- Details of the content that you view and interact with. For example, when you use our website, we may collect information about your visit, such as your browser software, which pages you view and which items you ‘clicked’ on or added to your shopping basket
- Service or server logs, which hold information about your use of our service, or websites, such as your IP address, browser information (including HTTP user agent strings), HTTP client request information and the time and location of your activities and domain, We collect full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page
- Emails communications that you have with our call centres or other Sony personnel may be monitored and logged.
In general, this information is collected using digital identifiers such as browser cookie or your IP address. These identifiers are used to distinguish the information provided by your browser or device from that of another user’s browser or device,
How Sony Depthsensing uses the information that it collects
Sony Depthsensing may use the information it collects for the following purposes:
When we use personal information to offer our products and services to you ,the processing is based on an agreement between you and Sony or on our legitimate interests to further our sales. In this context, we may use personal information to:
- Provide you with a product or service you have requested, including checking that a payment is not made fraudulently, delivering your purchase to you or ensuring that you benefit from any relevant special offer or promotion (and fulfil its obligations under any other agreement it may have with you)
- Provide customer care, warranty, returns and other after sales services
- Facilitate and process your searches and requests for information when you contact us about our products and services
Product and service development
We work constantly to improve our products and services. We base this processing on our legitimate interests to develop our products and services to better meet customer requirements, to ensure data quality, to develop identity management, and to strengthen network and information security. In this context, we may use personal information:
- For staff training and quality assurance purposes, particularly in relation to our customer relations staff at our call, email and other support centres
- To measure our performance or ask for your opinions on Sony products and services and conduct product surveys
- To develop and improve new and existing Sony products and services, recommendations, advertisements and other communications and learn more about customers’ shopping preferences in general.
When we use personal information for marketing purposes, either, we base the processing on our legitimate interests to know our customers, keep you up-to-date about our latest products and services, and to personalise your customer experience, or on your prior consent, e.g. for sending marketing messages.
In particular, we may collect, store, track and profile your information to:
- To provide you with newsletters and other communications by email, if you have provided your prior consent or we are otherwise permitted to do so under applicable law. See the Marketing communication section below for more details.
- Conduct prize draws, contests and other promotional offers
- Create anonymous, aggregated statistics about the use of our websites, products, services and loyalty programs, which we may share with third parties and/or make available to the public.
- Use product reviews, comments or content you have uploaded to our websites or services and made publically visible to link to, publish or publicise elsewhere including in our own advertisements. Each time you create or reply to a post or thread on a website forum from Sony, in addition to providing this forum service, we may also record the forum name and the time and date of your post or thread with your account details. We do this to better understand the ‘typical users’ of our forums and to select or tailor our marketing communications to reflect your forum activity. We do not use the content of your forum posts or threads for these additional purposes.
We may use information collected from monitoring our websites, online services and emails for security purposes. This information may be passed to the police or to other appropriate authorities. We base this processing on our legitimate interests to protect you and our company, systems, employees and partners, or on a legal obligation to cooperate with competent authorities.
Fraud prevention and investigation
We may use personal information to prevent fraud and to investigate violations or our policies. For example, we may use your information such as your device ID(s) to ensure that any discounts relating to any promotions are not being redeemed fraudulently, and to check that a payment is not made fraudulently. In this case, we base the processing of personal information on our legitimate interest to prevent fraud and to provide benefits only to our customers.
We may also use personal information to comply with applicable laws, regulations and court orders and to comply with valid legal information requests from such bodies. We may use your personal information to enforce or defend the legal rights of any Sony group company or the terms and conditions of any Sony product or service. In this case, we base the processing on a legal obligation to which Sony is subject or on our legitimate interest to defend our legal rights.
Combining the information we collect
We may link or combine the information that we collect from the different sources outlined above in the “Information that we collect” section above (including information received from other Sony group companies about your use of other Sony group products and services). Information may be linked via a unique identifier, such as a cookie or account number. Alternatively, we may decide to combine two or more databases into a single database of customer information.
We may do this for your and/or our convenience (for example, to allow you to more easily register for a new service), to allow us to provide a more seamless customer support whenever you contact us and to provide you with better, personalised services, content, marketing and adverts.
Sharing information about you
In general, Sony Depthsensing does not sell, rent or otherwise disclose information about you to third parties without your consent. However, there are exceptions:
Other Sony group companies
Our service providers
We may use third party service providers (either data processors or data controllers) to process your personal information for the purposes outlined above. For example, for fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and emails, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, providing fraud checking services and providing customer services.
Our data processors operate only in accordance with our instructions, in line with this policy, and are subject to appropriate confidentiality and security obligations.
Legal and business purposes
We may use and/or disclose to third parties information about you:
To government bodies and law enforcement agencies to prevent fraud, to comply with the law and to meet a reasonable request from such bodies
To third parties (including professional advisors) to enforce or defend the legal rights of any Sony group company or the terms and conditions of any product or service
To a third party purchaser or seller, and its and our professional advisors, in connection with a corporate event such as a merger, business acquisition or insolvency situation
Sharing of information by you
A number of our online services allow you to upload and share messages, photos, videos and other content and links with others and/or create a publicly accessible profile for your account. For example:
The communities and forums area of our website, allows you to post comments (with your account name), which are visible to other users of that service
Other services allow you to share a link which if clicked on may allow the recipient to access your uploaded content
You should not expect any information that you make available to others via Sony’s online services to be kept private or confidential. Content and links that you share might, for instance, be forwarded by your recipients to others. You should always exercise discretion when using such services.
International transfers of your information
Sony Depthsensing is part of the Sony group, which is a global organisation. For the purposes explained in this policy, your information may be transferred to Sony group companies (including service providers operating on their behalf) and other third parties in countries which do not have the same level of data protection laws as those in the country where you are located.
Sony uses a variety of legal mechanisms, including EU Standard Contractual Clauses, to help ensure that your rights and protections will travel with your data. This is why each of those Sony group companies (and their authorised data processors) will comply with Sony’s internal policy relating to processing of personal information which complies with the key data protection principles of fair handling of personal information and ensuring adequate level of protection of personal information.
Please contact us if you want to receive further information regarding international data transfers. You will find contact information at the end of this policy.
When you provide us with contact details, such as when you purchase a product, contact our customer support call centres or create an account for one of our services, you may be given the opportunity to opt-in to (or in certain cases where applicable law allows, opt-out of) receiving various newsletters and other communications by post, email, telephone and/or text message (SMS) from Sony Depthsensing and/or other Sony group companies. These communications may include, for instance, details about the latest Sony products and services, including upgrades and special offers in which you may be interested.
Sony may also use your information to personalise and to target more effectively its marketing communications as set out in this policy. When we use customer profiles for direct marketing purposes, you have the right to object to this kind of personal information processing at any time you wish to do so. You can contact us using the details in the “Contact us” section below to change your preferences.
You can change your marketing communication preferences at any time:
- If you would like to unsubscribe from an email sent to you, follow the ‘unsubscribe’ link and/or instructions placed (typically) at the bottom of the email. But note that:
- If you use more than one e-mail address to shop or contact Sony, you will need to unsubscribe separately for each email address
- This method will only unsubscribe for newsletter or other communication that you have received and you should use one of the other methods if you wish to opt-out of all our marketing communications
- If you have registered with Sony online and have a “My Sony” account, you may log-in and amend your marketing communication preferences in the account settings
- You can contact us using the details in the “Contact us” section below in order to change your marketing communication preferences
Please note that we may occasionally send you important information about Sony products and services that you are using or have used (such as order confirmations, product safety announcements and service changes) or your accounts. These emails are not affected by your marketing communication preferences.
Security of your information
How does Sony protect your personal information and what can you do to protect yourself?
What we do to protect your information
We take a number of steps to protect your information from accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access, including where appropriate:
- Using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive information, such as credit card details (SSL encryption is designed to make the data unreadable by anyone but us)
- Limiting access to the information we collect about you (for instance, only those of our personnel who need your information to carry out our business activities are allowed access)
- Putting in place physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in line with industry standards
What you should do to protect your information
As general best practice on the Internet, it is recommended that individuals take great care with user accounts, and follow some basic rules:
- Do not use trivial passwords (such as single dictionary words)
- Do not use the same password for multiple accounts
- Do use very long passwords (at least 10 characters, but preferably much longer)
- Do use passwords which contain a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters e.g. $%^& etc.
- Do keep passwords securely (never written down, or shared with anyone) and changed periodically
Cookies and web beacons
Our websites use technically necessary cookies to provide you with the web pages and services that you access through our website (necessary cookies).
Access to your information and your rights
If you would like a copy of the personal information that we store about you in our customer databases, please contact us using the details given in the “Contact us” section below.
This is in addition to your legal rights, including the right to access a copy of your personal information, the right to request the deletion or updating of any inaccurate personal data and the right to object, in some cases, to our processing of your personal data. You can exercise these rights by contacting us using the details given in the “Contact us” section below.
Where we base processing on your consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
You may also have, for some data processed by us, a right to data portability, i.e. the right to receive your personal information in a structured, commonly used machine-readable format and transmit your personal information to another data controller.
You can exercise these rights by contacting us using the details given in the “Contact us” section below. You may be asked to provide some proof of identification so that we can verify that it is you making the request.
If you are concerned that we have not complied with your legal rights or applicable privacy laws, you may contact the Belgian Data Protection Authority (www.dataprotectionauthority.be) (which is the regulator responsible for data protection in Belgium , where Sony is located). Alternatively, if you are located outside of Belgium , you may contact your local data protection authority.
Retention of personal information
We will only retain your personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary for the various purposes set out in this policy or to otherwise comply with any applicable laws and regulations concerning the mandatory retention of certain types of information.
Links to other sites
Some of our websites may contain links to other websites that are not operated by Sony Depthsensing, including websites operated by other Sony group companies.
While Sony Depthsensing tries to link only to sites that share Sony’s high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content, security or privacy practices of those other websites. You should view the privacy and cookie policies displayed on those websites to find out how your personal information may be used.
How does Sony handle the personal information of children?
Sony Depthsensing considers a child to be anyone under the age of 16. We do not knowingly seek or collect personal information from or about children.
Sony Depthsensing, a Belgium company with its registered address at 11 Boulevard de la Plaine, 1050 Ixelles, Belgium, is the controller of your personal information.
You can contact us at:
11 Boulevard de la Plaine
+32 (0)2 888 42 60